The Mango Predator: Hopper

The most awaited, delicious, sweet and soft pulpy fruit mango will always be there in summer. Their aroma craves Humans to have the taste of it, who can’t help themselves to abstain this fruit or either miss the fruit for the season until next year. Though have you ever thought of pesticide (chemical to kill pests) used on mango to prevent the attack from pest (Destructive insect). It’s very important to protect early stage development of mango that is young flower shoots which, however, are prey for the living pest.

The destroyer of the mango: “Hopper” the living predator who sucks the “sap” (containing primarily of water, hormones, minerals and nutrients) from tender shoots and leaves which leads to nonsetting of flowers and short growth of mango, eventually falls on the ground. There are total 300 pests around the world ready to destroy. Hopper has the potential amongst all to top the list. It signifies the use of pesticides to protect against pests. As a synthetic molecule, Imidacloprid is used as an insecticide to prevent the attack of insects.

Mango

There are many insecticides other than Imidacloprid to name the few e.g. Endosulfan, Cypermethrin. Imidacloprid that was made to mimic nicotine which is toxic to insects. It acts on sucking insects, termites, soil insects; they are sold in liquid, granules and powders packages. Imidacloprid disrupts the nerve ability to send signals which cause the nervous system to stop working the way it should. They are systemic insecticide which means when sprayed in the soil they are taken up by the tree travelling to leaves, fruit, flowers and stem. The insects that suck on the treated plant end up eating imidacloprid that causes damage to their nervous system and eventually dies.

The underlying question, what is the action when human feed treated mango? can a non-judicious application of insecticide or pesticide prove highly toxic to humans?

Well, when a human eats a treated mango, the imidacloprid is broken down in liver excreting 90% through urine and faeces. Though, studies showed that imidacloprid does not have any sign to cause cancer. To be on the better side, we should always wash any fruit thoroughly before eating.